Monday, May 19, 2008

A Birthday Cake and a Candle.

My birthday is in two weeks. On my way home, I just thought of the past birthdays I had. I can’t even remember them anymore. Probably because I never had a birthday celebration in my 24 years of existence. Yes it is making me sad. The thought of not having a birthday cake with candles to blow. I never had that when I was a kid.

All three kids in the family celebrate our birthdays in May. Since my brother’s birthday is just days after my sister’s, they used to have a party for two. A celebration for their birthdays. I can still recall when I was 6; they had a party with balloons, games and two separate cakes with candles. But I was never jealous of this. My mom used to cook food on my birthday when I was a kid. And this idea would not even happen again since they got separated.

A couple of people greeted me last year. It was nice to hear from people whom I’ve never seen for a long time and yet remembered me on my special day. I never had a planned birthday. That’s why I’ve been longing to be with the people and gather them so my former school mates in college who I have been with for 8 years can meet my close friends from work and the like. In a way I want to celebrate my birthday making people know more about me. Yes, some folks have known me for years but never really know me.

Last year as I looked back….I could not remember how the last birthday went or passed. I was alone that I can remember. People get too busy to celebrate with me. Some says, “I have another event to attend to,” or “I can’t because I’m busy,” or “I can’ because it’s raining.” And my expectations went from happy to no expectations at all.

I am just thankful that I am still alive to this date. That I am still growing and still open to learning new things. I think this year, in two weeks; I am gonna buy myself a cake and put a candle on top of it. I will make a wish for people to take value of things still existing. I am going to sing myself a happy birthday……I would definitely cry blowing that candle…….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home