Thursday, March 12, 2009

Of Flu and Movie Reviews

Finally, I am back writing after being bed ridden for a couple of days because of flu. I figured I don’t want my weekend to be dull just because I’m sick so I ended up watching films and reviewing them.

Film 1: Slum dog Millionaire

A story of a guy, Jamal, who grew up in the slums whose childhood memories led him to win in the reality game show Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?

The film was told in such a way that it shows the viewers a story between time – the current and a flashback within a flashback. The lead was interrogated by the police officer because he was accused of cheating in the game show. Within this timeframe the boy recalls his experience in the show and again recalls the past – losing his mother, working for a syndicate, meeting the love of his life, and finally becoming a millionaire. The film tackled a couple of relevant issues existing not only in Mumbai but all across the world. This, I think what made it a good film. At one point, I pondered at destiny that maybe it was really a person’s destiny after all. What I didn’t like in the film though, is the missing part – What did the character do to the host who accused him and had him tortured? I just don’t see the connection of using the winning moment to cover up such injustice.

Film 2: MILK

I cried watching this film because I can feel the character played by Sean Penn - Harvey Milk, the first gay man to be elected in office.

The film had a lot of information to offer. It had a good portrayal of a period in gay history. It depicted the era when the March started. It was successful in depicting how people struggled to fight for gay rights and somehow eliminate discrimination. It felt human to expose Milk as a normal gay guy and just like past presidents, he too was assassinated.

There was one part in the film that made me think. As a gay guy, what have I contributed and what do I plan to accomplish at my age? I think everyone regardless of gender goes through the decision making of what direction to take, what contribution they can leave and how they would be remembered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home